Book Review: Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Melissa de la Cruz

NaNoWriMo Word Count: 31,106

I should be writing, yet I find myself reading!  Actually, that's a great trick for writers who're maybe stuck in their own writing.  Go read a book by someone you like.  That almost always helps me!

Anyway, I started off my Christmas season a little early by buying Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Melissa de la Cruz at Books-A-Million in the bargain section.  Seriously, someone needs to stop me from going there.  It's dangerous that I can buy brand new hardcovers for $5.  I don't even have a bookshelf to put these books on yet since I moved.  They just live in the basement in old milk crates my mom took from the elementary school she works at.

Eh.  I don't think I'll stop checking BAM's bargain section ever.  Even though they only seem to change it like twice a year, I still seem to find something there every single time I go.  It's kind of crazy.  But, anyway, back to the book!

Melissa de la Cruz has been writing for a long time, and I've had some varying experiences with her books.  The first book or series I ever read by her was actually her Blue Bloods vampire series.  I think I only got through maybe book 2 before giving up on the series.  I just...  I wasn't enjoying it.  I didn't really care for it.  And at the time, vampires were all the rage, and so I just moved on to reading other vampire stories I liked a little better.  I don't honestly remember why I didn't like the Blue Bloods; I just remember that I used to call it the Hobo Vampire series.  Can't remember why I called it that either.

So, I kind of shied away from her books after that.

But, then the Hamilton craze was happening, and she just so happened to write a book called Alex & Eliza, and it was a YA romance about Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler.  I got the book at one of those library overstock sales for like $1 in brand new condition.  I figured, if I still don't like Melissa's writing, I only spent a buck, no big deal.

Spoiler alert, I loved it.

So, when I saw Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe, I jumped on it like a crazy person.  I've loved Pride and Prejudice since high school (where I read it of my own volition because that's the kind of nerd I am), and I like fun Christmas stories.  This book sounded perfect to me.

You can't tell me this cover doesn't instantly make you want to start reading it.

There are several fun parts about this book: it's a modern take, the genders are swapped, and Bingley is gay.  The story follows our protagonist Darcy, who's a modern day career woman.  She comes from a wealthy family in Pemberley, Ohio, but she left that all behind for New York City.  She returns to Pemberley for a family emergency, and it happens to be Christmastime.

Once back, she reunites with her best friend Bingley, and has to deal with the advances of her on-again, off-again ex Carl (Caroline Bingley would be his counterpart in the original story).  And, she also runs into a boy from high school, Luke Bennett (Lizzie!).  I don't want to spoil too much, so I'll just kind of leave it at that.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book!  I had trouble putting it down.  It was such a different take on the classic story, and I found myself smiling and awwing as I read.  The dialogue was great, the setting was always well done.  The epilogue was to die for.

It's also a pretty quick read.  I enjoyed that about the book because it made me feel like I could and would actually read it either every year around Christmas, or read it a few times during a Christmas season because it was just so cute.

I loved this book.  If you like Pride and Prejudice, or that type of love story, check this book out.  It's totally worth it!  (Psst, it's also going to be a Hallmark movie that premieres in a few days!!!)

And as always, write on!

Amy


Comments

Most Popular Posts

Amy Updated

Villanelle Victories

Two Truths and a Lie: Hallmark Movie Edition #2