Halloween Writing Prompts!

It's Spooky Month!  Finally, it's time to bring back the apple cider, corn mazes, pumpkins, sweaters, and costumes!  Yassss!  With October being a fun and spooky month, I decided to try out some different kinds of posts in these upcoming weeks. 

Today, for instance, I'll be creating some Halloween writing prompts.  I've seen a lot of different ones online before, but a lot of them are just too vague.  To me, a writing prompt has to give you just enough to get your writing gears turning, but enough freedom to really do whatever you want with it.

For example: In a Creative Writing class I took in college, we were given a writing prompt towards Halloween.  The prompt was: Your significant other asks you to become a vampire.  How do you respond?

Here's what I came up with:

“I’m not budging on this, Colin,” I stated, crossing my arms tightly over my chest.  “I refuse to become a vampire for you.”

He stared me down with his penetrating blue eyes, his fangs fully exposed in the dimmed lamp light.  “But you love me, right?"

“Yes, but that’s not the point.”

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, placing the other on his hip.  “Ava, weren’t you the one who told me all women are really into vampires right now?”

Chuckling, I took a step closer to him.  “Maybe, but I didn’t say I personally wanted to be one.  Besides, I think women are moving on to other mythological creatures now.”

He pouted, jutting his lower lip out, his fangs retreating.  “Please, Ava?  Trust me.  Being a vampire will be fun.” 

I looked at him like he was crazy.  “I’m going to end up stabbing myself with my fangs, Colin.”  I shook my head.  “And vampires dress in weird cloaks and always wear black.  I don’t look good in black.”

"Come on, vampires don’t dress like that anymore.  Just look at me,” he suggested, pointing at his gray T-shirt, leather jacket, and dark wash jeans.  “Vampires dress like humans do.  We wouldn’t blend in if we wore cloaks.”  He reached over to the discarded outfit on the couch that he wanted me to wear.  “See?  This dress isn’t all black, Ava.  It’s got some red on the sleeves.” 

"For the last time, Colin, I will not be your vampire girlfriend.” 

He sighed, knowing I would not surrender.  “Fine.  But we can’t go as ourselves to my parents’ Halloween party.”

"I know.  But I don’t want to meet your parents for the first time being barely dressed either.”

He nodded his head.  “That’s a good point.”  He put a finger to his chin, trying to come up with something better.  Finally, a smile lit his face.  “How do you feel about being a pirate wench?"

I just shook my head. 


So, there you go.  I took the prompt and made it work for me!  That's what can be so fun about writing prompts!  You never know where they'll lead you.  

And now, without further ado, here are some Halloween/Spooky writing prompts/first line prompts for you to try out!!



1. The zombie horde is closing in.  There's only one thing left to do...

2. I knew walking home alone after midnight was a bad idea.  But I never expected to see... 

3. "Getting locked in the history museum for the night is so much fun!  Wait, wasn't something behind the glass there a minute ago?" 

4. Vampires on T.V. are always hunky and attractive, but in real life they're...

5. I laugh as I run ahead of my friends through the corn maze.  When a cold hand reaches out from the stalks, grabbing my arm, I...

6. "You're so chicken.  Nobody's seen Old Man Jenkins' ghost in twenty years." 

7. Why am I spending my Halloween in the most haunted cemetery in Salem, you ask? Well...

8. "After all the murders recently, I'm surprised you decided to meet me here." 

9. The town is overrun with werewolves.  And tonight is a full moon.  

10. I followed the eerie giggling out into the forest.  It was past my curfew, but I needed to... 


Which one was your favorite?  Let me know, and keep writing!

Amy 

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Blogging in Boston - Part One

Two Truths and a Lie: Hallmark Movie Edition #2

NaNoWriMo #3 Writer's Block